Published on: January 23rd, 2022
By: المستشار ماهر الديري

Super Visa to Canada


An applicant is eligible for a super visa if they have:

  • provided proof of the parent or grandparent relationship to the Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • undergone a medical examination and are admissible on health grounds;
  • provided satisfactory evidence of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for a minimum period of one year from the date of entry that
  1. covers the applicant for health care, hospitalization and repatriation,
  2. provides a minimum of $100,000 coverage, and
  3. is valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by the examining officer upon request; and
  • provided a written and signed promise of financial support (e.g., a letter of invitation) from the host child or grandchild for the entire duration the applicant intends to stay in Canada. The letter must be accompanied by evidence of their means of providing such support. This normally means details of the number of persons in the host’s household and proof of income at a level meeting or exceeding the low-income cut-off (refer to IP 2, section 5.32 (PDF, 394.15 KB)) for the total number of persons, including the visiting parent(s) or grandparent(s).

Encouraging applications for multiple-entry visas

The following indications should be considered when encouraging applications for multiple-entry visas:

  • the applicant is known to the visa office;
  • the applicant has a history of travelling to and returning from Canada;
  • elderly parent(s) with a permanent residence application in progress.

In addition to the usual temporary residence requirements, applicants applying for the parent and grandparent extended stay temporary resident visa (TRV) (super visa) also require

  • letter of invitation from their child or grandchild residing in Canada;
  • one of the following documents to prove that the child or grandchild meets the low-income cut-off (LICO) minimum (a co-signer may be added to meet the LICO minimum):
  • the most recent copy of the notice of assessment (if the child or grandchild does not have a paper copy of their notice of assessment on file, they can view and print their tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the Canada Revenue Agency My Account online service by visiting to register or log in),
  • the most recent copy of the child or grandchild’s T4 or T1,
  • an original letter from the child or grandchild’s employer stating their job title, job description and salary,
  • the child or grandchild’s employment insurance pay stubs, including
  • a letter from an accountant confirming the child or grandchild’s annual income, if they are self-employed,
  • proof of other sources of income (pension statement, investments, etc.);
  • proof of the applicant’s parental relationship to the child or grandchild (e.g., a copy of the child or grandchild’s birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official document naming the applicant as the parent); and
  • proof of private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year with a Canadian insurance company (a copy of the insurance certificate or policy) that
  1. covers health care, hospitalization, and repatriation,
  2. provides a minimum coverage of $100,000, and
  3. is valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by a port of entry (POE) officer.

Temporary resident visa and electronic travel authorization applications: Fees
Here is detailed information about the fees