Published on: January 23rd, 2022
By: المستشار ماهر الديري



Normally, persons who do not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) are:

  • refused permanent resident or temporary resident visas abroad;
  • refused Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA);
  • denied entry at a port of entry; or
  • refused processing within Canada.

In some cases, however, there may be compelling reasons for an officer to issue a TRP to allow a person who does not meet the requirements of the Act to enter or remain in Canada.

If you are otherwise inadmissible but have a reason to travel to Canada that is justified in the circumstances, you may be issued a temporary resident permit.

To be eligible for a temporary resident permit, your need to enter or stay in Canada must outweigh the health or safety risks to Canadian society, as determined by an immigration or a border services officer. Even if the reason you are inadmissible seems minor, you must demonstrate that your visit is justified.

There is no guarantee that you will be issued a temporary resident permit. If you would like to receive a permit, you will have to pay a processing fee, which is not refundable.

A permit is usually issued for the length of your visit to Canada—for example, one week to attend a conference. You must leave Canada by the expiry date of the permit, or get a new permit before your current one expires.
Please note that this permit may be cancelled by an officer at any time. The permit is no longer valid once you leave Canada unless you have specifically been authorized to leave and re-enter.


eTA required
If you are a citizen of an eTA-required country, and are refused an eTA, you may be issued a temporary resident permit depending on the nature and circumstances of the inadmissibility and the continuing rationale for travel. The visa office responsible for your country or region may have its own application form for temporary resident permits. You should check the visa office to find out about its specific application procedures.

You should submit an application for a temporary resident visa along with supporting documents to explain why you are inadmissible and why it may be justified for you to enter Canada.

Note: You may have to attend an interview so that an officer can assess your application.

You must pay a fee (C$200) to cover the cost of processing your application for a temporary resident permit. The fee will not be refunded if the permit is refused. Check the visa office website for specific payment instructions.

Electronic travel authorization
The eTA became a mandatory entry requirement for these air travellers on March 15, 2016. To help reduce travel disruptions, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) established a leniency period from March 15, 2016, to November 9, 2016. As of November 10, 2016, the eTA requirement is enforced at check-in for flights to or through Canada via the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI) system.
This requirement does not apply to these foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by land, sea, or rail modes.

How do you apply for an eTA?

Applicants can access the eTA application form online in two ways:

  • If someone doesn’t know or is not aware if/that they need an eTA, they should consult the Come to Canada wizard first. If it is completed properly, it will direct the applicant to apply for an eTA.
  • If someone knows that they need an eTA, they can access the application form directly at
    If the applicant is eTA-exempt, or is otherwise not eligible to apply for an eTA, they will be notified and directed to the program(s) for which they are eligible.

Applicants will need to provide the following information in their application:

  • Passport details
  • Personal details
  • Occupation
  • Responses to background questions (to assess for health, criminality and immigration-related concerns)
  • Contact information